Friday, March 28, 2014

Saturday of the 3rd Week of Lent (A)


Luke 18:9-14. What makes a prayer pleasing to God? The parable presents two people at prayer. One, a Pharisee, started his prayer with thanksgiving. “God, I thank you that I am not like other men, extortionists, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector.” Wait, this is not a thanksgiving prayer but an act of shaming others. Isn’t it? “I fast twice a week, I give tithes of all that I get.” Oopps, this is not giving praise to God but to self. According to Jesus, God did not hear the prayer of the proud Pharisee. The other, a tax-collector, stood humbly and begged for mercy. “God, be merciful to me a sinner!” The tax-collector confessed that he is a great sinner and he knew that only God can justify him. Jesus said that God was pleased by the man’s humility, and He forgave him.