Thursday, March 13, 2014

Friday of the 1st Week of Lent (A)



Matthew 5:20-26. Do we aspire to live in peace with others? Jesus teaches the need to reach out and get reconciled with enemies and accusers before we bring our gifts to the altar. Otherwise, our offerings will have no value in God’s eyes. This gospel inspires us to say the heartwarming prayer of Eusebius, a 3rd century Father of the Church: “May I never quarrel with those nearest me: and if I do, may I be reconciled quickly. May I wish for all people’s happiness and envy none. May I never rejoice in the ill-fortune of one who has wronged me. When I have done or said what is wrong, may I never wait for the rebuke of others, but always rebuke myself until I make amends. May I accustom myself to be gentle, and never be angry with people because of circumstances. Amen.”