Saturday, January 10, 2015

THE BAPTISM OF THE LORD (YEAR B)

Is 55:1-11; 1 Jn 5:1-9; Mk 1:7-11

Jesus’ baptism marked a turning point in his life as the Son of God made man. For many years, he lived a quiet, ordinary, private life, known only to his parents, relatives and friends. Then, the time came for him to begin his special mission in life, a task that was planned from eternity.
After his baptism by John, Jesus began his public ministry. He was becoming a public figure. He started to proclaim, “Repent for the kingdom of God is at hand!” And as he preached, Jesus also healed the sick, gave sight to the blind, forgave sinners, fed the hungry, embraced little children, protected the rights of widows, and consoled the poor. In Jesus, the prophecy of the prophet Isaiah was fulfilled: “Here is my servant whom I uphold, my chosen one in whom I delight. I have put my spirit upon him, and he will bring justice to the nations.”
As the Church celebrates the feast of our Lord’s baptism, we also are reminded of our own baptism, the turning point of our lives whereby we became disciples of Jesus and members of his Church. Before our baptism, we were creatures of God; after our baptism, we became adopted children of God, heirs of His kingdom. This is our fundamental identity, something that cannot be taken away from us. We may lose our material possessions, friends, job, or physical attractiveness, but we will never lose our mark as sons and daughters of the Most High. Not unless, we choose to lose it ourselves by consciously and freely turning away from God.
In baptism, we become sharers not only of the identity of Jesus but also his mission on earth. We are to live as Jesus lived.  We are to live the Father’s will everyday of our lives, which could mean a lot of things. Basically, however, it means that we are to love God above all else, with all our heart, mind, soul and strength. It also means we are to love one another as we love ourselves.
One thing that is lost by many people today is a sense of mission. What are we here for? What is the meaning of our being sons and daughters of God? What does God want us to do on earth? Not many of us have seriously considered these questions. The prevailing culture does not inspire us to find joy and meaning in the fulfillment of our real mission on earth.
I like what Cardinal Newman writes about his life and mission:
God has created me to do Him some definite service; He has committed some work to me, which He has not committed to another. I am a link in a chain, a bond of connection between persons. He has not created me for naught. I shall do the good, I shall do His work. I shall be an angel of peace, a preacher of truth in my own place while not intending it - if I do but keep His commandments.
Therefore I will trust Him. Whatever, wherever I am, I can never be thrown away. If I am in sickness, my sickness may serve Him; in perplexity, my perplexity may serve Him; if I am in sorrow, my sorrow may serve Him. He does nothing in vain. He knows what He is about. He may take away my friends. He may throw me among strangers. He may make me feel desolate, make my spirit sink, hide my future from me – still He knows what He is about.

The self-awareness of Cardinal Newman is something that all Christians must try to emulate. People who know who they really are and what they are about to inherit will fear no one. They will not waste their time and energy with other things that do not matter in the kingdom of God. They will not worry when sometimes things go wrong because they know that God, the Father in heaven, is in full control.

No comments: